Why Ojude-Oba Celebration in Ijebu-Ode Carries More Weight than Other Regions in Ogun State
For the benefit and sake of non-Ijebu indigenes, Ojude-Oba celebration is precisely a day set aside to dine and wine (i.e. celebration of life) with the king of a particular area in Ijebu and also to promote the cultural heritage of the land. For more clarity, diverse social groups (Bobakeye, Bobagbimo, Bobagunte, Regbe Regbe...) in the land known and accepted by the King assemble to celebrate the traditional values of the land via choreography, dancing, singing, eulogizing e.t.c.
Without mincing word, this act of celebration in Ijebu land can be dated back to the 18th century which is a pointer that it’s a generational course passed on from our fore-fathers down to us. As at date, the Ojude Oba celebration in Ogun State is apparently observed in Ijebu-Ode, Ijebu-Igbo, Ijebu-Isiwo, Ijebu-Imushin, Ijebu-Ife, Odonselu, and lately Ilese respectively.
Among all these regions, Ijebu-Ode has proven to be the most decorated of all due to various reasons. To begin with, various yardstick can be used to evaluate this pronouncement viz; age of existence, population, land mass, social amenities, infrastructural facilities e.t.c. Indeed, Ijebu-Ode is still far behind some cities and towns in Nigeria such as Abeokuta, Lagos, Ibadan and some others but it supersedes other regions highlighted earlier on all the developmental indexes.
By any of the enlisted yardsticks, one can say Ojude-Oba celebration in Ijebu-Ode is the most decorated of all but there are many more reasons why this location/venue is accorded much respect and regard. These reasons are under-listed;
- It is the genesis of the celebration.
- It is the location of the incumbent reigning Awujale of Ijebu land.
- It is the home of prominent rich Nigerians as well.
- It is an arena marred with great success in the past (may the Almighty God return the lost glory in Jesus name).
- It is one of the prominent provinces created under the British council.
- It is the most exposed arena and popular in the region of Ijebu.
- It is a dramatic arena that attracts visitors from far and near.
- It has played host to all living democratic President in Nigeria (except the current President whose health is under constant check).